Urgent Care Services: Types of testing
First Med Urgent Care is a unique urgent care clinic in that we have our own onsite lab and EKG testing. A lot of patients are nervous when they hear the acronym EKG being used. Today, we’re going to explain a little bit more about what this means and, hopefully, ease your fears just a little.
An electrocardiogram (EKG) is a test that checks for problems with the electrical activity of a person’s heart. Have you ever seen a lie detector test being conducted (maybe even only on television) with the little needle that jumps up and down a piece of paper? Well, similar to that, an EKG scratches line tracings on paper to show the heart’s activity levels.
Some of the reasons a person would have EKG testing completed include, but may not be limited to:
- To find cause for unexplained chest pain or pressure
- To find cause for possible heart disease (symptoms including shortness of breath, dizziness, fainting and irregular heartbeats)
- To determine if walls of one’s heart are too thick
- To check on effectiveness of medications or if they’re causing side effects in the heart
- To check health for persons with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes or other heart diseases
First Med Urgent Care staff are here to let you know that you don’t have to worry about the procedure. You’ll be happy to know that it isn’t invasive, not painful and takes just a few minutes to complete. Lead pads are attached to suction cups and put onto a person’s chest using a small amount of gel. The patient would then lie flat on the exam bed and wait for a duration of about five minutes.
That’s pretty much it! First Med Urgent Care strives to provide the best and most convenient medical care possible. We hope that if you ever visit our urgent care for an EKG that you’ll be able to relax a little more.