First Med Urgent Care: How to stay healthy
Influenza (or the the flu) really started hitting hard around October, but now that the weather has cooled off quite a bit more a lot more cases are circulating. Patients that failed to get the flu shot early on may be at greater risk now that the flu infection is becoming more prevalent. While First Med Urgent Care staff are here to care for you if you need us we’d like to provide you with some tips for avoiding the flu this Christmas season.
- Dress warmly: This might seem too simple, but it works! Since our summer and fall weren’t really all that terrible it makes sense that when it did finally get chilly your body would be more susceptible. To avoid feeling that icy sting, wear plenty of layers to keep warm.
- Keep your hand clean: People sneezing, coughing, and rubbing their runny noses are everywhere and spreading germs! The best thing you can do is wash your hands as often as possible. If you use the same hand drying towel, consider washing it often, as well. It may be best to use disposable paper towels (and if you’re environmentally conscious recyclable ones are a great option).
- Eat the right foods: Choose foods with plenty of Vitamin C and Zinc for an immune system booster. Vitamin C can be found in a lot of fruits and vegetables. Zinc can be found in meat, oysters, eggs, seafood, black- eyed peas and wheat germ.
- Drink plenty of water: Drinking water is vital as it flushes out kidneys washing away any toxins that may have entered the body. It’s one of the easiest ways to keep the flu out.
- Get plenty of rest: Maintaining a regular sleeping schedule keeps your body happy and relaxed. Doing so helps to avoid stress on the body. When you’re less stressed you can naturally fight off illness more effectively.
Sometimes you just catch the flu too late. It is possible to try everything on the list for prevention and still get sick as your immune system isn’t always stable to begin with. If you get sick, First Med Urgent Care is prepared to help! All 6 of our locations are open 8:00am to 7:30pm, 7 days a week. There is no appointment necessary so you can just drop in whenever you have the time. Of course, checking in before you come can save you some time. You can make use of this handy feature by clicking here.