First Med Urgent Care: Safety Tips to prevent falling this winter
It’s winter in Oklahoma, and that can lead to some brutal and unpredictable weather. Our First Med Urgent Care staff like to be prepared. And that includes preparing for the icy conditions that can come during the winter months. These precautions are important, as unexpected falling can lead to hip fractures, especially in older individuals. First Med Urgent Care’s staff is here with some safety tips to keep you upright and mobile as you move around this winter.
- Wear appropriate shoes: Shoes with good traction and support will be invaluable when walking on slippery sidewalks, stairs, and slopes.
- Take a cell phone for help: If you need to leave the house while inclement weather is happening, always be sure to take a cell phone. You can use it to connect with friends and emergency personal in case you need to call for help.
- Use that sidewalk salt: Salt can help clear out ice and break up the slippery parts on sidewalks. You won’t slip if there’s nothing to slip on! The best way to avoid the ice is just to get rid of it!
- Try exercising indoors: If you love to work out keep in mind that outdoor winter conditions may not be the safest. Instead, maybe consider exercising indoors to prevent slipping on ice and freezing in the cold.
- Get regular check-ups: Taking care of your body is an ongoing challenge. Maintaining a strong overall health means you’ll be less likely to break a bone when you fall. Getting check-ups by an urgent care doctor can help ensure sure you’re in great condition.
- Eat a healthy diet: Eating a healthy diet and giving your bones the nutrients they need to grow and stay strong. Consider foods rich in Calcium and Vitamin D
We hope you found this helpful!
If you should fall down and find that your hip isn’t fractured, but there are some minor injuries causing you pain, our urgent care would be happy to take a look.
There’s no appointment necessary to enjoy the convenience of services at First Med Urgent Care! Simply walk-in or check-in online between 8:00AM to 7:30PM any day of the week! You can check-in online by clicking here.