5 Symptoms That Might Send You to Urgent Care This Winter
Winter usually means a higher risk of sickness than the other times of the of the year, and it’s important to know the most common reasons for people to visit Urgent Care facilities. When should you visit urgent care? When should you visit your primary doctor? When should you go to the ER? To help you narrow down that list, here are five examples of times you should visit urgent care in OKC:
- Closed Primary Doctor/ Pediatrician. If you or a family member is sick but the primary doctor is not available, it is an excellent time to visit urgent care.
- Suspected Flu. If you suspect that you or a family member has type A or type B flu, urgent care can help. You likely don’t want to wait for an appointment at the primary care doctor. We can quickly and efficiently provide flu testing. Symptoms include fever, aches, chills, extreme fatigue, and sometimes drainage.
- Suspected Strep Throat. If you or your child have symptoms of strep, it’s important to get care right away. We provide fast and efficient strep testing, to get you out the door with medicine as soon as possible. Symptoms include extreme sore throat, throat and tonsil inflammation, red and white splotches in the back of the throat, fever, drainage, and sometimes upset stomach.
- Minor Injuries. When you or a family member experience a minor injury, such as falling on snow or ice, urgent care may be able to help. Severe cuts and suspected concussions are better treated at the ER, but minor injuries can be brought to us.
- Sinus Infections. It is okay to treat common colds and viruses at home when possible. Over-the-counter medications help alleviate many symptoms that accompany a cold. If you suspect your cold or virus has developed into a sinus infection, a visit to urgent care and a prescription for antibiotics may be necessary. The symptoms include sinus pain, sinus pressure, inability to blow nose or breathe through nose, lots of drainage and mucus, or greenish yellow mucus.
If you or someone in your family needs urgent care, look to us at First Med Urgent Care. We offer urgent care in OKC, urgent care in NW OKC, urgent care in Edmond, and urgent care in SW OKC for your convenience.